Veterans Overview | Nashville Cremation Center | Nashville TN funeral home and cremation
site image
site image

Veterans Overview


Honoring a Veteran

Taps are played, the American flag is folded, and given to the veteran's family as part of the Military Funeral Honors (MFH) ritual. A funeral honors detail made up of at least two members of the armed forces conducts the service.

The status of the veteran will determine the funeral rites offered to you or your veteran. Full military honors, a seven-person detail, or a standard honors team detail are all possible types of funeral rites.

The departed veteran's former military service will be represented by at least one member of the funeral honors detail. If a bugler is not present, taps may be played by a high-quality recorded version. If the veteran's or family's request is made, military funeral honor teams may serve as pall bearers.

site image

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Active duty military personnel or members of the Selected Reserve.
  • Former service members who left the military on good terms after performing active duty.
  • Former military members who served in the Selected Reserve for at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service and left under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former military personnel who were discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability sustained or aggravated while on active duty.

Who is not eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  • Any person who was separated from the Armed Forces for reasons other than honorable or whose service character precludes them from receiving veteran benefits.
  • Any person who was told to report to an induction station but was not actually inducted into military duty.
  • Any person who was released from the Selected Reserve before finishing one term of enlistment or the initial period of required service for a reason other than a disability acquired or worsened in the line of duty.
  • Anyone convicted of a federal or state capital offense and sentenced to death or life in prison.

How do I establish veteran eligibility?

We must have a copy of the DD 214 discharge form demonstrating an honorable discharge in order to file for veteran military funeral honors. To obtain the DD Form 214, complete a Standard Form 180 and mail it to:

National Personnel Records Center(NPRC)
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132

You can acquire the Standard Form 180 from the National Records Center or online at the following website:

Is anyone else eligible to receive funeral honors?

Yes. Members of the Commissioned Officer Corps of the Public Health Service (PHS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) are additionally eligible to receive funeral honors as members of a Uniformed Service.

When determining eligibility for NOAA employees, NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge, is used. If the family does not already have a copy of the NOAA Form 56-16, they may request one by writing to or calling the NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center's Chief, Officer Services Division, at (301) 713-7715.

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration  
Commissioned Personnel Center 
Chief, Officer Services Division (CPC1) 
1315 East-West Highway, Room 12100 
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910

PHS Form 1867, Statement of Service, is used to determine if PHS employees are eligible for funeral honors (equivalent to the DD Form 214). The Commissioned Corps' Privacy Coordinator can be reached at (240) 453-6041 or by writing if the family needs a copy of the Statement of Service.

Division of Commissioned Personnel/HRS/PSC 
Attention: Privacy Act Coordinator 
5600 Fishers Lane 
Rockville, Maryland 20857

© 2023 Nashville Cremation Center. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility